Sunday, June 8, 2008

Joined at the Coda

"All these double knit strangers with gin and vermouth and recycled stories, in the naugahyde booths with the platinum blondes and tobacco brunettes. I'll be drinkin' to forget you. Lite another cigarette and the band's playin' something by Tammy Wynette" Tom Waits from "Warm Beer and Cold Women"

She was singing along to her Ipod as she be-bop-a-lulaed into my room for a breakfast of pancakes, sausage, and a Dixie Cup of multi colored pills, of course there were no pancakes and sausage, but doesn't that sound good? What got me thinking was the look on her mug as she bounced around the room like Richard Simmons rolling on Exstacy. Whatever song she was listening to was reminding her of something wonderful, and quite possibly erotic, based solely on the swing of her hips flipping up the edge of her little skirt for the quickest glimpse of her lacy underwearings. As I tried not to stare I got to thinking about the songs that get me thinking.

I knew that it would be impossible for me to list all the songs in my life that are permanently linked to specific people, places, or things. There are too many songs, too many faces, and too many alcohol sodden memories. But there are a few that would be prominently featured in the soundtrack of my life story. For example:

Kodocrome by Paul Simon. I'm not the only one that's gonna have this song tied to the memory of "Love Hurts", my second play. The show itself was so amazing, well acted on all fronts, I dare say well written though large sections of it were lifted from other sources. The Presidents speech from Independence Day, Oren Ishii's declaration to the heads of the Yakuza, Kevin Smith films a plenty, but each night the show opened with Kodocrome and it will always take me to that time in that place.

Two Princes by the Spin Doctors, yes the Spin Doctors. It was a favorite song of Kelly and I's jukebox wars at Lucky John's. Every time I hear it I wonder what would have been if I had the skills to break her down, get her to fall for me, but alas the heart wants what the heart wants and hers didn't want me. But that stupid song will always remind me of Kelly, well that and the Animaniacs tattoo on my back.

You Can't Always Get What You Want by the Rolling Stones is forever attached like conjoined twins to Don and Wayne. It brings back assorted flashes of high school, driving to Hollywood, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Alondra 6, Jack In The Box, and all kinds of weirdness in one song.

American Pie by don McLean is like the closing credits on the Minnesota saga. It instantly takes me back to the porch of my cabin looking out at Cari and Angie getting some sun on the dock. It was such a wonderful time in my life, and the song was really the perfect ending.

Lastly there is Heaven by Canada's biggest failure Bryan Adams. The meaning behind that one lies in the deepest recesses of my memory and I'm not ready to unleash that demon yet.

What song's make you remember the important events?

Dixie Cup of Love: The Songwriters of the World.

PS - Tom Waits will forever remind me of Wes and Mark Adams, two guys that have had a profound influence on my life.

No comments: