Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Hourglass

The nurse had enough delays. She wanted to hear how the Michelle story ended. Some of you might not even remember the beginning, so here is a link to: The Hourglass Syndrome. With my shackles keeping me under the nurses watchful eye, I had no choice but to make with the rest of the story. Don't be sad, I thought, be glad that I ever got to know her love, even if it was not meant to last. I continued...

This friend of mine knew the minute he saw me that life was about to throw me a twelve to sex curveball that was definitely gonna make me look like a fool in the batters box. when I drove up to his house with Michelle in the passengers seat two things became as clear as crystal. I was now sleeping with a married woman and it wasn't gonna be a one time thing. This game was gonna be the hardest that I had ever played.

So, I alluded to the fact that the love of my life was married when we met. What I left out was where her husband was. As far as I knew he was on Mars, but I learned that he was on an aircraft carrier doing his duty as a member of our Navy. Mind you that this was pre 9-11 and the rspect that we had at the time for our fighting men and women wasn't at the level that it is today. I say this to aswage my own guilt, there is no lower snake than I. He was out defending my right to persue my happiness with his wife. And with him out to sea for the foreseeable future, the girl was mine.

Michelle and I dated like there was nothing standing in our way. We spoke of the future, we made love in an all consuming fire of passion, we laughed, and we fell in love. Not I fell in love, no, we did. It was the first time I said it to someone who meant it when she said it back. One conversation that I will never forget involved where we would go on our honeymoon. There were serveral destinations on the board, but we finally agreed on Montego Bay, Jamaica. All we had to do was get married and start living life, oh yeah, and she had to deal with that one thing.

In November, right around Thanksgiving, the time came. We were standing out on the rocks at the jetty at Seal Beach when she informed me that he was due home in one week. The conversations from that moment on got more and more intense. Twice we fought after sex that week, not fights built on anger, but frustration. The big talk was looming over both of our heads. With two days remaining before the ship pulled into harbor we sat down for our last face to face conversation.

We stared at each other for almost a half an hour without saying a word. It was unnecessary. I knew what she was going to ask and I'm pretty sure she knew my answer. I loved her. I wanted her. I had dreamt of marrying her and honeymooning in Jamaica. But when she finally got to asking the question the reality took over. She kissed me, then while holding my face in her hands she asked "What do you want me to do?" My deepest, no only, but my deepest regreat was the speed with which my answer escaped my lips. "You cheated on him, what makes you think you won't cheat on me?" Truth. Honest, brutal dagger all in one statement. She drove away. My love.

You can ask or relate however you want.

Dixie Cup of Love: The One That Wasn't

No comments: