Saturday, June 14, 2008

In The Zone

"I should have seen the signals and stopped, what a flop! Now I see the way it ends. I'll let her turn me down and say "Can't we be friends" Jamie Cullum from "Can't We Be Friends"

The nurse must have been crying all night based on the puffy appearance of her eyeballs. Normally this shocking display of emotion from my dealer would warm my heart like a puppy fetching a steak bone, her misery is usually my adulation, but I have been feeling a skosh more human as a late, which reminds me that I need to get my meds adjusted. So in an altruistic effort to show a glimmer of compassion I asked her what was causing her blues. She informed me that her latest victim told her that he only wanted to be friends with her. My hysterical laughter obviously wasn't helping her feel better, but come on, guys don't have the "Friend Zone."

I know I'm gonna earn some chauvinist pig points for this one, someone may even bring up the "misogynist" word again, but I've had some time to think about the "Friend Zone" and the times that I have been relegated to it. I won't claim to speak for all men, just myself, and my experiences.

I have friends that are female. The capability for me to spend time with someone and not want to hump their leg like a Shitzu does exist. There can be conversations that don't involve the slightest whiff of sexual theme, granted that's about as rare as steak tartar, but still it's possible. But I never fully rule out the idea of being physical with that person. I may not be attracted to them physically, or on a one or two occasions I just find someone that I know I won't be compatible with intellectually, but I always think in the dark recesses of my testosterone fueled brain that if the circumstances were right, I'd take a run at her. I'm not sure if females share this quirk with me. It's not that I don't believe that women can act in sexually irrational way, I just don't know. Do they? Do they think that almost every man they have the least bit of commonality with is a possible sexual partner?

And I do believe that there are women out there that don't have a "Friend Zone" Women that try not to put Baby in a corner. Whether it be a bad current situation or don't find them physically desirable, but still care about them, enjoy their company, and don't close the option door. They may not answer that door when I knock, but they don't fully consider me sexually neutral. And I postulate that most women will say they are of this order. Which I, remember just me, thinks is a bold faced lie on most accounts. They have a "Friend Zone"

What I'm really getting at is this: Why does the "Friend Zone" exist at all? Time changes people, all people, male and female. The woman that I didn't find attractive last month might now be more desirable to me as I've gotten to know her better. I know that I am a different person today than I was when I started this here campaign. Different things are important to me, people I used to find undeniably attractive I now could never imagine being intimate with, and there are others that I wish I would have paid more attention to. If I enacted a "Friend Zone" these changes wouldn't allow for chemistry, so why is it still around?

Do you have a "Friend Zone"? Been in it? Lived there? Will you help me to abolish it?

Dixie Cup of Love: Abolitionists.

No comments: