Sunday, May 11, 2008

I've Been Called A Mother...

"If you could Coddle the infection, They can amputate at once. You should have been, I could have been a better son." My Chemical Romance from "Mama"

It's not my place to know if the nurse has any demon like offspring. As a bride of Satan I can only imagine that she has spat at least one little Damian from her loins, but of this I have no proof, course if she was my mother I would breast feed for life. So seeing that the jury was still out I decided not to wish my medicator a happy Mother's Day. Who knows, it might have offended her.

To all those with children, cats, dogs, fish, real-dolls, and imaginary tykes I wish you a happy Mother's Day, but this shouldn't be a day for mothers, simply popping a puppy out of your womb should earn you no special recognition, it should be a day for Mom's. Like SuperMom. Women that take the time to teach, love, and support their seeds. Extraordinary women who accept responsibility when their "little cuties" are wailing so loudly in a restaurant that Marlee Matlin starts to complain. Amazing women that don't let their children use the aisles of the grocery store as their own personal playgrounds. Magnificent women who understand that discipline and child abuse are two entirely different things.

When I think about SuperMom in contrast to the Mom's on TV I am amazed that she is still walking. There was no Mr. Brady and his quarter dozen there to help her with the hard stuff. In my version Carol would have been living in an apartment while Mike Brady nailed every ugly piece of tail with a half a Johnnie Walker buzz. In my version of the story there is no Alice waiting around in the kitchen for Sam the Butcher to bring her the meat. It was just Carol, making a meatloaf and hoping it would last for two days. SuperMom wasn't a Marge without a Homer, A Peggy without an Al. She wasn't Roseanne without Dan, she wasn't even Miss Ramano, because in all those cases the father was at least in the mix enough to be a "without". Even Bonnie Franklin had Schneider. My sperm donor left SuperMom to do it all. And she did it with poise, intelligence, and a sensitivity that is second to none.

Many of you Mom's out there will get tokens and trinkets emblazoned that you are "The World's Best Mom", it's simply not true. I'm sure you're above average, maybe even superior, but SuperMom is the one and only, Champion of the World, Undisputed, Unchallenged, Best Mom that a boy like me could have. I owe her more than just my life, I owe her my respect, my love, and I need to prove to her beyond a shadow of a doubt that I understand all the lessons she taught me. I may not have always been the "Greatest Son on the Planet", I'm still not, there is no S on my chest, but that would never stop SuperMom from treating me like the Oscar was already on the mantle. For a woman who raised three children on her own, for her to support the dreams of the "artistic" child, well that means the world to me. I haven't made her proud enough, in my opinion, but as I was set to shoot the first frame of film on "Poison of Choice" I called SuperMom to thank her for supporting me. And she cried tears of joy. I love SuperMom and wish her a very happy Mom's Day.

Tell me about your Mom, if you want.

Dixie Cup of Love: SuperMom

No comments: