Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Heckler

"Does it hurt? Oh, it really doesn't matter, Does it burn? Oh, I don't feel a thing. Does it sting? Oh, yeah, it really doesn't matter. Does it hurt?, Oh, I don't give a damn. When I find myself falling and I hit the bottom, It only makes me laugh" Oingo Boingo from "It Only Makes Me Laugh"

I started to wonder today as the nurse came in my room looking like Russell Crowe in a bad mood if there was any joy left in her pathetic, imaginary life. Were there moments of hysterical laughter when she lets her guard down completely and just rolls on the floor (for those of you who don't understand those words it means ROFLMAO, basically, damned Internet)? Who makes the nurse pee her pants a little? And thinking of that, well, it disgusted me a bit, then I started thinking about the people that make me laugh.

There is one job that I know, aside from employee of HellJob, that I would never like to attempt, that is Stand-up Comedian. I like to think that in written form I'm a hoot, but standing in front of a room full of strangers and deciding that they are all gonna laugh, that's tough. But when someone does it well it can be a splendid sight to behold. For me, there's a few people that I can watch stand with the microphone in hand and just cackle.

Eddie Izzard. Not in everyone's taste I understand. But those that value a sense of intelligence and wit love the transvestite. I will admit that I was leery to check his show out at first. After all, what's funny about a man prancing around in woman's clothing? It was a mistake on my part to judge the product by the box it came in. My old roommate Aaron tried with the temerity of an ant moving a rubber tree plant to get me to watch it, then one day, while stoned, I caved in and am forever glad that I did. The man is just brilliant. If you haven't seen Dressed to Kill and Glorious, Netflix them now. Do not delay, you probably won't be disappointed.

Dave Chappelle. Such an influence on me was the special "Killing Them Softly" that I named one of the main characters in my first play "Chip". Some find him to be too anti-white male but get over it, as long as there are different races it will be part of stand-up. The Chappelle Show on Comedy Central did some of the funniest stuff I had ever seen on TV and it was a shame that he freaked out over getting paid and being pressured. Hopefully we have not seen the last of him. For that would be a huge loss.

I have been watching Last Comic Standing this season, as I was a huge fan of Josh Blue, and I have to say that the way they are treating women on this show is an outrage. Esther Ku was funny, I don't care how annoying her laugh was, her stand up was top notch, and she was gone in the first elimination. Eliza is an assassin. Two times she has been on the showdown, two times she has sent the other comics packing. She's funny, guys, get over it. Women are just as funny as we are, and they have boobies. I only add the boobies thing because I'm a fan and a pig. If you haven't figured that out by now you shouldn't be reading the Asylum.

Which comedians make you laugh? Who do you not like at all?

Dixie Cup of Love: The Funny Chicks.

No comments: