Friday, July 18, 2008

Two Isn't Always Better Than One

"So much for a movie ending romance, Revise and rewrite. I'm uninspired, the script is tired, The cast is looking at me with murderous minds." Math and Physics Club from "Movie Ending Romance"

Debating in the Asylum is a lot like talking to yourself. Sure you can make some stunningly astute observations, but no one is even pretending to listen. Such was the case last night as the nurse and I got into a heated argument about sequels. Her contention was that no sequel has ever surpassed the oringinal in entertainment value. Though for the most point I agree with the little tramp, there are a few spectacular exceptions to the rule.

In general I will admit that when I see a number two or the word "again" after a movie title my first reaction is disgust. Sitting through "Big Momma's House" once was brutal, even with Paul Giamatti trying his darnedest to save it. The thought of subjecting my precious buttocks to another hour and half of Martin Lawrence in a fat suit and dress would border on sado-masochism. As much as I love hammering my own ego into dust, that's the most self induced punishment that i will tolerate.

However there are those sqeuels that match, if not exceed, their primordial ancestors. Officially, if this is what you rank things by, the Godfather Part 2 has been the only sequel to win the Oscar for Best Picture, though Return of the King is, I guess, a sequel of sorts. The reason I discount Return of the King on a sequel level is that it's the end of the trilogy, and the Oscar may have been awarded for the entire effort, not the singular film. It was the end of the Lord of the Rings story, where as The Godfather Part 2 was an excellent companion to the first. Equal in quality of story, originality in story telling, casting and tone. The third Godfather film, though somehow nominated for the most prized of awards, is a huge blunder and stain on the Godfather name. It turned Michael into a pussy, crying in the kitchen for his trecherous dead brother. Then, as if that wasn't enough, the horrible nepotistic casting of Sophia Coppola as Mary, well, it was the cement shoes that sunk the flick like a mob snitch in the Hudson.

When it comes to being better, the only one I can think of at the moment is X-Men II. Better characters, tighter story, more action, far superior to the O.G. Then X-Men III, you lose the director, you lose the cohesive vision. Bryan Singer should have left Superman for Tim Burton and Kevin Smith to fight over,. X-Men franchise killer, Brett Ratner. Some will say Spiderman II and I will have a hard time disagreeing, in the first one it was a huge mistake to hide Willem DaFoe behind an immovable mask, what a waste of an actor.

There are two possible contenders in theaters now that may change my mind. The Dark Knight might just be better than Batman Begins, certainly looks that way on the commercials, and then there is Hellboy II which would have to be spectacular to get my vote, but it's possible.

Got a favortie sequel? Or ones that you hate?

Dixie Cup of Love: Francis Ford Coppola

No comments: