Thursday, July 17, 2008

"Sometimes it's fine, Sometimes I know just what it's all worth. Sometimes it's fine, Sometimes it feels like heaven on earth." Stiff Little Fingers from "Cold"

The nurse brought me with a sandwich with my Dixie cup of Dopamine doublers. I don't know what caused this ingestible gesture but after dealing with the cafeteria food for so long I was grateful for the outside edible. As I unwrapped the hoagie I noticed that it was half eaten. What the hell? That's when the nurse smiled like a ghoul and told me that it was her leftover lunch. Worse than that it was a hot sandwich which was now cold. Fantastic, she's so good to me.

When it comes to the kitchen, I can get around with the dexterity of a cat with attention deficit disorder. Not just a heat and eat guy, I can make a batch of cookies, cheesecakes from scratch, and plenty more. But I also know when to save the microwave and enjoy my left overs cold.

Some foods, not all mind you, but some taste wonderful when served straight from the ice box.
Chief among them greatest cold left overs is SuperMom's meatloaf. A sandwich, mayo, ketchup, a slice of cheese and a healthy, or completely unhealthy, slab of cold meatloaf can be a meal all in itself.

Now, any college student or poor person worth their salt knows that while pizza straight from the Queen of Coins delivery service is awesome, it can be even better the next day, cold. Not all ingredients make for a good cold slice. Pepperoni isn't my favorite, ham and pineapple, though, that's the stuff of dreams. Supreme pizza, the veggies tend to loose their snap in the fridge so I would pass on that as well. I'm sure the Queen will have some excellent advice for you on this.

Spaghetti. Mixed with a nice marinara meat sauce, is delectable when frigid. I have been known at times to place cold spaghetti between two slices of Wonder bread and wallowed in the carb load sandwich. It's decadent and bad for you, but isn't the best stuff always bad for you?

What's your favorite cold leftover?

Dixie Cup of Love: MeatLoaf, cause naming yourself after a glob a meat is tough.

No comments: